North Star Grant Program
Shaping the Future of the Club and Cross Country Skiing
Norm Oakvik, a club founder, donated a part of his estate to NSSTC to support the club and to further grow the sport of Nordic Skiing in Minnesota.
Each year the North Star Grant program seeks, evaluates and funds worthy projects.
Watch here for info on grant application procedures.
We awarded $29,000 to eight organizations to enhance cross-country skiing in Minnesota.
• Bemidji Area XC Ski Club to help replace an aging snowmobile used for grooming 95K of trails.
• Brainerd Nordic Ski Club to help buy a grooming snowmobile. The county no longer grooms trails.
• Norpine Trail Association in Lutsen to join with others to cover cost of a used piston bully.
• Cloquet Nordic Ski Club to help buy 20 sets of youth ski equipment, lessons for 160 young skiers.
• Lake Country Nordic Ski Club in Hackensack for a weed and brush mower to widen the trails.
• Coon Rapids Nordic Ski Boosters Club to build more trails for grade school and H.S. teams.
• Northern Lights Nordic Ski Club in Grand Rapids for partial funding of trail grooming equipment.
• Bloomington Nordic Ski Team for ski equipment for new members of the high school ski team.
For more info: 2022 Media Release
In 2021 we provided $25,000 for these projects:
• Ottertail Nordic Ski Assoc.-skis for youth program
• Medicine Lake Ski Club–grooming equipment
• Loppet Foundation–lighting at Theo. Wirth Park
• Mt. Ashwabay–construction equipment for trails
• North Superior Ski Club–ski equipment & course markers
• Washington Co. Ski Club–ski equipment
In 2020 this program provided $25,000 in funding for the following projects.
FFI on 2020 projects: Link.
• MN Youth Ski League
• Bemidji Area Cross Country Ski Club
• Sugarbush Trail Assoc.
• Rochester Active Sports Club (RASA)
• Banadad Trail Assoc.
• Itasca Ski and Outing Club
• Agassiz Environmental Learning Ctr.